Monday, April 8, 2013

"There is no such thing as a wire snips!"

The title of this blog post pretty much says it all. I kept insisting to Dan that I needed a wire snips to make my latest project and he kept telling me there is no such thing. He was laughing so hard while trying to tell me in every way possible that they didn't exist.

Let's back up a little bit. First, I found this and thought maybe I could tackle it. How cute right?

Ok, how can I go wrong with this one? It's just a mason jar, a soap dispenser, a wire snips (figured Dan would have one of those) and some paint. So I tolled on over to the local Joann Fabrics and bought 2 mason jars for $1.29 each and pretty much sprinted back home to try to hammer out this "quick and easy" craft.

So it starts when I read the "how to" and it says to make a hole in the mason jar lid in a circle to fit the soap dispenser (I used one I already had from a Bath and Body Works soap.) The way that this gal says to make the hole is by using a "wire snips." So I casually ask my hubby if he may own a pair of these aforementioned "wire snips." He immediately gives me a suspicious look and says "this better not be for a Pinterest project!" Sheepishly, I say "welllll this one is REALLY quick, I will be done before Cam gets up from nap!"  Then begins the argument about whether or not there is actually such a thing as wire snips. Dan gives me a pliers (since apparently wire snips do not exist--at least at the Jokela house) and I set off to make this super easy little hole *this is what it was supposed to look like*
Unfortunately, this is what MINE looked like, without these elusive wire snips. I also about lost a finger in the process. 

Meanwhile my supportive husband is laughing so hard he was convulsing and I think I even heard a snort or two during the fits of laughter from the other room. 

Well the issue is, once you make the hole, like cutting hair, you cannot go back. Well the hole should have been the size of a quarter and it was the size of Rhode Island. All of the sudden, like Murphy's Law, the baby awakens down the hall. SHOOT!

I quick cram the dispenser into the gigantic  hole and throw it on the sink. It was beyond repair. It's still sitting there because, like the "genius" I am, I threw away the original one. Ugh! The real bad thing is that since the hole is too big for the dispenser, it doesn't hold suction, so you can only do 1 pump and then it gets stuck and you cannot pump any longer. So not only was this project a complete waste of time, it is now a pain in my rear every time I want to use soap--which is quite a few times per day :) 


Doesn't look too bad from afar. Just don't get too close :)

No comments:

Post a Comment