Friday, April 5, 2013

Should mac and cheese taste cheesy?

The answer is YES! However, this Pinterest fail did not. I thought it was awfully harmless and therefore did not even have a back up frozen pizza at the ready--my mistake. This is what I was "Attempting" to make Broc Mac and Cheese. I thought to myself "how can I go wrong?" Even Dan thought it looked good and chipped in on making it (don't get too excited--he didn't exactly volunteer).
Doesn't he look thrilled? :)  As you can see, we have 2 pots going at once, one for the noodles and broccoli and one for the sauce which starts out as just butter and onion and then you have to add flour and make it into a "roux." Now this is where I should have stopped. When words like "roux" are used in the recipe and more than 2 pots are needed, ABORT THE MISSION. Instead, like good Pinterest soldiers, we plowed forward.

I actually got the "roux" to work pretty well and the sauce started thickening.

Then you need to add a boatload of cheese. I mean, I thought to myself "how many cows were milked to get all this cheese? YIKES!"  But I thought at least it would be cheesy right? Wrong.

Here is a look before we added the cheese. The broccoli was really good--super moist and juicy, but the pasta had negative flavor. "Negative flavor" you ask. Negative, I say. If a weight watchers frozen meal is a 1 on the flavor scale, this was a -3. I actually think that blending some chopped up cardboard into it MAY have helped the flavor :)  

Now you may wonder why there is no picture of the final product. That is because I was too disheartened and peeved to take one. 

Moral of this blog post: Just because it LOOKS good on Pinterest, it may not be and you may have 2 people slaving over the stove for 25 minutes for a lack luster outcome. Boo! Pinterest: 1--Rachel: 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment