Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I do not like you Martha Stewart

I should have known better than to follow a Martha Stewart recipe. I bet she has a whole team of staffers that all they do is take pictures of her food and photoshop them to death. I guarantee you the food does not look like these pictures in real life, they are just a rouse to make you feel bad about yourself and your cooking and to buy more of her cookbooks! :)

So this was the recipe I was attempting. "Iced Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies." YUM! It was for a family gathering where I volunteered to bring dessert--so the pressure was on for it to be edible. Now, I did use regular applesauce instead of chunky, but that was not the issue. The cookies themselves turned out great, Dan was eating them long before I had the icing ready. The aformentioned "icing" was the issue.
See in the picture above how the icing is WHITE?? Well when you mix something white (powdered sugar) and something brown (pure maple syrup) together, you will not get something WHITE. It just doesn't happen. Blue and orange don't make green. Purple and black don't make yellow. I think Martha's photoshop staff need to go back to school on this one :) So my frosting was a yellowish/clear color, as I would expect it to be, from my education on colors in Mrs. Trapp's kindergarten class. So I tried adding more and more and more powdered surgar, but that wasn't the answer either. So I just went with it. Folks said they were reaaaaally good with the clear colored frosting, but I was too upset at Martha to eat any.




Here is where I realized I had an issue. See how the icing is like a clear/tan color?



This is a bad picture, but this is after they dried. Didn't look too shabby and folks said they were really good, but I am still on strike from MS recipes! :)

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes the worst looking cookies end up tasting the best! YUMMY

    ReplyDelete